Tuesday, January 22, 2008

sojourn

on this wonderful computer i have a tab for the dictionary. the mac computer defines sojourn as, "a temporary stay."
i wanted to start this blog for those of us who are here in north america for a brief (or not so brief) amount of time, who feel misplaced.
i was born and raised in california and i love this state. however, i no longer feel at home here. when i was about 18 i felt the Lord was calling me to work with orphans. since that time i have been longing to be . . . elsewhere. among the orphans of this world, i suppose. and, praise His name, two years ago He moved me to haiti to work in an orphanage! it was the most wonderful time of my life.
i am back in california now for an undetermined amount of time and i no longer belong here. i have been in contact with some friends in the same state of mind and i was hoping that in creating this blog we may find a place (be it in cyber space) where we "belong."
so, for those of you who are misplaced for the time being, who seem to lack a sense of purpose stateside, who feel distant and unconnected even within the church body that has been supporting you, who cannot put into words the thoughts, feelings and frustrations of your daily struggle, come home. please feel free here to discuss what is at times "un-discussable." please use this blog to lift one another up, to encourage each other in the faith of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. please tell of your life in other countries, the trials and the victories. please share this blog with others looking for that place to call home.
i know your struggle. i know what it's like to have lost a sense of freedom. i know that ache in your heart to just "get back home." i know what it's like not knowing when that will happen.
but let's join together in this. let us encourage one another as we are called to do.

6 comments:

Troy said...

preach it, sista

Dan Joshu said...

wow, how interesting. I have visited Haiti 3-4 x's now, each time feeling like I have something to give there, a place to find to share. I am currently seeking an outlet for myself to be in Haiti full time. I found your tag on the comment section on the Livesay's site. would you be interested in e mail so I could ask you about your experiences in Haiti and about Petionville? Dan Joshu is my name and you can contact Tara about me. (ok, don't believe everything she says, I really am not THAT bad) :)

angela said...

well, dan, it's hard to email you without an address!

Elisabeth said...

oh wow, you-you, this post perfectly describes, word for word, how I have been feeling lately. Thank you so much!

Theresa said...

Angela - I originally found your blog "well" from a link on the Livesays' blog. I had read it from time to time as a way to keep "up" with life in Haiti.

I moved to Haiti in Sept of 2002 to work with an orphanage/school for a year. During that year God called me to Haiti long term. I was so happy as I loved Haiti and the people. I moved to a different orphanage/mission and fell in love with the kids and the life. I even fell in love with the man who would become my husband.

In January of 2006 God called me back to Canada, at that time I was engaged to be married that November to the love of my life. I didn't understand God's plan but obeyed and I moved back to BC in February of 2006. I returned to Haiti in November and got married, but was only in Haiti for a month before returning to BC without my new husband.

It is now almost June of 2008 and I have been apart from my husband since Dec 1, 2006. I still don't understand completely why God called me back from Haiti and I miss it SO INCREDIBLY much everyday. I miss "my" kids, I miss the people that I had become friends with, I miss Haiti and I miss my husband but he will one day be here with me. Some days I even miss the noises and the smells.

Reading your posts about not knowing where you belong - - I completely understand. I still feel like I am torn between two worlds that are completely separate & different. As much as I love my family & friends here, they can not really understand what I have & still am going through. My bedroom walls are FULL of photos of the people of Haiti who have played a huge part of the woman I am today. Haiti had my heart on my very first trip in March of 2002 and it still has a very firm hold of it today. I know that I am blessed by the fact that I will always be a part of Haiti as my husband's family is all there and I will always have reason to visit. I have never had the "guts" to come out of lurking and comment on your blogs but I felt that I had to on this one. I will be praying for you and that God will give you total peace about the new direction He is leading you in. I pray that you will find a place where you know you belong. I can tell from reading your blog and the many comments left for you that you are loved by many and that you have touched many, many hearts with the work you did in Haiti and that is unchangeable.

Bondye beni ou!

Lena Just Lena said...

Hi Angela,

I got your comment on my blog-and I would love to have some pics-but I don't know where to send my email address-I looked on your profile and can't find a way to contact you other than this.....I hate to post my email address publicly, and I'm not sure what else to do...I get so much spam already......But I would love to communicate with you and see any pics you want to share. I've heard a lot about you-good things!

Hope to talk soon....

Lena